Training Program Title
Emergency Clinical Research Symposium
CTSA Hub Administered
Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 215-822-8644.
Training Program Description
The Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA) recognizes the continuing need for education for Clinical Research Professionals responsible for the activities at the research site or institution. The purpose of this workshop is to assist Research Professionals in improving their skills and their understanding of the responsibilities of conducting clinical research in the emergency setting. The goal will be accomplished through lecture and practical application facilitated by clinical research professionals. Information will be presented and discussed regarding the administration of clinical trials according to FDA Regulations and International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) regarding emergency clinical research.
Study design, Responsible conduct of research, Regulation, Best practice, Research study management
Digital Commons Disciplines
Cost to Access
Clinical Trials Operations; Study and Site Management
Learning Objectives – The participant will be able to:
- Understand current regulations related to emergency research
- Understand current challenges facing researchers conducting non therapeutic research in a pediatric emergency department setting.
- Discuss possible solutions to challenges to non therapeutic research in an emergency department setting.
- Describe challenges in Emergency Medicine triage related to psychological and psychiatric behaviors of both researchers and potential research participants.
- Identify behavioral, psychological and psychiatric behavior strategies to address challenges and mitigate risk.
- Understand process involved in emergency and expanded access use INDs.
- Recognize ethical and regulatory considerations in emergency research with emergency and compassion use drugs.
- Discuss special design considerations for adult emergency research studies including selection of study populations, recruitment and retention of study subjects, outcome measures, assessment effects and efficacy vs. effectiveness.
- Learn a novel way to develop a research assistant program for emergency department research.
- Understand IRB requirements for emergency research as well as the process and requirements for exception from informed consent in emergency research under CFR 21.50.24
- Learn the practical aspects, pitfalls and approaches to obtaining pediatric informed consent and trial enrollment in time-sensitive emergency settings and how to apply them.
Clinical Research Professionals (other than PI)
2 Day Conference (13.75 hours of CE credit available)